Making life more relaxed at the DMV!






Register Your Car in Nevada


If you're bringing your car from your previous state to Nevada with you, you'll need to have it registered with the NV DMV within 30 days of becoming a resident. You'll need to visit your local DMV office in person, submit some paperwork, and pay the registration fee. For more information, see our Car Registration page.

If you own a special vehicle, such as a moped, motorhome, or off-road vehicle, your registration process might be a little different. Our Special Vehicles page will provide more information on registration guidelines.

NOTE: If you need a commercial driver's license (CDL), follow the instructions on our Applying for a New CDL page.

Required Car Insurance

The Nevada DMV requires that you carry adequate car insurance before you can register your car. Your policy must be issued by a Nevada-licensed agency and you must provide the DMV with your insurance card as proof of your coverage. To compare quotes and policies, visit our Car Insurance center.

Required Car Inspections

Depending on what area of Nevada you live in, you may be required to get an emissions or smog inspection. Some vehicles are exempt from this law. You can find out more on our Car Inspections in Nevada page.


NV Driver's License/ID Card


When you first move to Nevada, you are allowed to continue driving using your out-of-state driver's license for up to 30 days only. After this time, you'll need to have a valid Nevada driver's license. Find out how to apply for one on our Applying for a New License page.





Teen Drivers


If you are a teenager, you may be able to transfer your out-of-state driver's permit to Nevada, as long as the driving training you received in your previous state meets the NV graduated driver's licensing (GDL) requirements. Read our Applying for a New Teen License page for specific information.





Identification Cards


If you need a form of identification, but don't wish to drive in Nevada, you can apply for an ID card from the DMV. You'll need to present some documents proving your identity, and you'll also need to pay the ID card fee. Instructions can be found on our Identification Cards page.


Organ Donation & Voting in Nevada

When you visit the NV DMV to obtain a driver's license or ID card, you'll be able to register as an organ donor and/or register to vote in the state.

NOTE: If you were registered as an organ donor or voter in your previous state, you will still need to re-register in Nevada.

If you're not sure whether you want to register yet, you can do so at a later time. For more information, visit our following pages:


DMV Office Locations & Resources


Use our handy office finder tool when you're ready for your visit.

Before you get on the road in your new home town, make sure you're aware of all the road rules by reading the DMV's driving manuals: